Monday, October 27, 2008

Driving Woes...

I have let myself cool down for a day before writing this because yesterday I was pretty hot on this subject. Let me first say that I am not a racist or sexist person unless a certain race or sex gives me a reason. And I know stereotyping is bad but there seems to be a trend forming, at least in my experience, and its truly frustrating.

So yesterday morning we leave my grandparents house in Justin, TX(just north of Ft. worth) headed for Georgetown, TX. We are in my Mom's Honda CRV with 4 grown adults, 1 baby(w/ car seat), and 4 schnauzers. So there is very little room and tension is already high, as you might expect. So now to my story...

We are driving south on I-35 which is generally known to be one of the worst roads in Texas. As we approach North Ft. Worth we start to see a slow in traffic. Not long after we start to experience a slow down we see a large orange sign that reads, "Left Lane Closed Merge Right". So naturally I put on my blinker and get over into the right lane behind an 18 wheeler, which is now stopped. As I am stopped, I start seeing the people behind me following my lead and moving over into the right lane as instructed by the sign. All of the sudden there is a truck cruising down the left lane past me and I happen to look over and the driver and passengers happen to be of Mexican decent and don't appear to be legal immigrants(When you live in Central Texas you can usually tell the difference). The look on his face signifies to me that he feels he is doing nothing wrong or just has no idea. This trend continues with vehicles passing in the left lane and trying to cram over into the right lane ahead causing the traffic to crawl along at a grueling pace. The people that pass include an African American male in his ghetto ride(you all know what I mean), a Caucasian woman with big sunglasses talking on her IPhone, and last a Hispanic woman by herself with the same clueless look on her face all respectfully pass us. During this stretch we pass another 3 large orange signs that read "Left Lane Closed Merge Right", the kind of signs that you cannot miss. So I ask myself a few questions: Are these people in a bigger hurry than I am? Do they feel their destination is more important than mine? Are they clueless as to the flow of traffic and how it works? Or do they simply not care about anyone else but themselves? Or do they simply have their head up their A**? It may be for reasons that I cannot even fathom its frustrating none the less!

I am not really going to be able to write what I really think about these people or this experience because I feel it would be a little much for most people to handle. So please hear my cries, if you can't read English then don't drive, if you can't talk on the phone and drive then please hang up, and if you just don't care about anyone else but yourself on the road then you better watch your A** because I have good insurance and am about an inch from running you off the road!!!